Pacific Islands Private Sector Organisation (PIPSO)
- Latest Emergencies
- News & Updates
- Events & Webinars
- Key Publications
- Updated Tools & Guidance
- Donors & Partners
20 members (national private-sector organizations)
The Connecting Business initiative (CBi) is supporting strengthened private sector engagement in disaster risk reduction, emergency preparedness, response and recovery in the Pacific region. In 2016,CBi supported the establishment of the Fiji Business Disaster Resilience Council as part of the Fiji Commerce & Employers Federation (FCEF). In 2017, a Pacific regional private sector network for resilience was launched to build on the work already undertaken in Fiji and to replicate regional best practice, led by the Pacific Islands Private Sector Organisation (PIPSO).
The Pacific regional private sector network will:
- strengthen and support the creation of national private sector networks in the Pacific;
- work with other actors to strengthen the capacity of governments, the UN, NGOs, civil society organizations (CSOs) and others to engage with the private sector in disaster risk management;
- support the integration of the private sector into regional disaster risk management programs;
- support the programs implemented by national private sector networks in the Pacific;
- undertake programs at the national level in Pacific countries where a stand-alone national private sector network is not feasible;
- provide information on disaster risk management in the Pacific to the private sector;
- facilitate the sharing of information between national networks in the Pacific, including best practices;
- convene regular regional private sector forums on disaster risk management;
- facilitate a coordinated regional private sector response to emergencies when national capacities are exceeded;
- map and monitor private sector engagement in disaster risk management in the Pacific region; and
- mobilize and facilitate a coordinated global private sector response to emergencies in the region.
PIPSO responded to COVID-19 through the Pacific Business Resilience Network (PBRN) and coordinated with the Fiji Business Disaster Resilience Council (FBDRC) during Tropical Cyclone Yasa in 2020.
The regional network facilitated networking and information sharing via webinars and meetings. From May to August 2020, PIPSO held a joint webinar series with International Labour Organisation Employers Activities (ILO-ACT/EMP), focusing on issues affecting the business community during the pandemic. With the support of ILO, PIPSO compiled a policy guide that included COVID-19 responses by national private sector organisations (NPSOs) in the Pacific region. PIPSO/PBRN has also conducted business continuity planning workshops and participated in regional-level discussions such as the Pacific Resilience Partnership to promote local humanitarian action in the region.